It's nice just talking about life and the love that makes it wonderful.

Monday, January 25, 2010

I'VE GOT NO BESTFRIEND, EXCEPT FOR ONE THING...

I'VE GOT NO BEST FRIEND, EXCEPT FOR ONE THING...
by: Manuel D. Cinco


Eighteen years have passed and I've been to many experiences.

I've already learned important lessons in life.

I've already saw what my future can be.

I've already met many people that eventually became my friends, but I consider none of them were my best friend, even my close friends, I've got lots of friends, but I cannot consider any one of them as my best friend, instead, I treat one thing as my best friend, wonder what is it?

It's BASKETBALL. Wonder Why?

Because this sport has been my best buddy (I may sound abnoy, but it is true) for over thirteen years. This sport has sparked the fire inside me that kept me pushing for my dreams.

I won't consider any one as my best friend, not one but BASKETBALL.

Through this sport, I learned a lot. Hard work, perseverance, loyalty, determination and the undying will to succeed. Through BASKETBALL, I learned these things, that probably, my friends or even the closest ones won't be able to teach me.


BASKETBALL has given me the reason to dream. When I was still in kinder (Five Years Old), I dreamed of becoming a basketball superstar, I played the sport daily, and even nightly even if it is dark. I woke up early everyday just to be able to play and master my skills, I put the sport as my number 2 commitment (studies is my number 1). I would always go to school early and bring with me an extra shirt just to be able to play with the bigger guys. I always watched basketball in our television (up to now) and always end up having an argument with my father. He would always say that basketball is not meant for me, and that even if I love basketball too much, it won't love me back, which I didn't believe and has caused me to push harder and harder everyday. Because of my love of the sport, I considered it as my best friend, one who teaches me lessons important in my life, day in and day out. I never considered any one as my best friend, not even my dabarkads (all of them are good ballers), instead, I considered them as my enemies who are trying to steal basketball away from me (THAT'S HOW I LOVE THE SPORT).

My love for the sport that I considered as my best buddy somehow was put to test when I reached high school. As I grew older, my height wasn't catching up with my progress, and that's when I began asking myself if I can still reach my dreams. I began realizing what my father said, every night before I go to sleep, I always hear those words that he always tell me, "WALA KANG KINABUKASAN DYAN, PARA SA MATATANGKAD LANG YAN!".

I stopped playing for two years. I thought that my "best friend" betrayed me. I thought that BASKETBALL turned it's back on me.


But not for too long.


After I learned that I cannot be a basketball superstar anymore and having realized that it is not the sport's fault, my love for my "best friend" came back and taught me a lesson, you can't always have what you want.


After I have thought of that thing, I considered basketball as one of my teachers, not academically, but in life.


I thought that you can't always learn anything essential inside the class rooms, and as what elders always say, you can learn great things outside and not always on the text books. There are many people that will teach you a thing or two in life, and those are your friends, and I can say that it's true, my friends had taught me lots of things, and my "best buddy" proved it.


Through BASKETBALL (my best friend), I learned that life ain't always good. It can be tough and it can be rough, just be ready for it. Train and practice hard with all your heart so that when trials come, you are one hell of a man to face it.


I may sound crazy, but it's the reality.

I wouldn't consider any one as my best friend except for one thing.


And that is BASKETBALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment